The Central Joint Fire District recently held its annual Awards and Recognition banquet for 2012.
Fire Fighter of the Year was Danny Zeigler of Portage Township and a member for two years. Chief Ron Bechstein identified Danny as a hard working contributor to the department in many areas. His stepping into new roles and positions out of his comfort zone was also noted. As a result Danny has also been named to one of two Sergeant positions for 2013. Danny works for a local paving company.
Fire Officer of the year was Lt. Ryan Spuhler. Ryan started with the department as a student at BGSU and has remained after graduation. He is an RN with additional degree as a nurse practioner. Ryan originally hails from the Cleveland area. Ryan is an excellent helper during drills for new people and when given a task it will get done.
Friend of the Fire Department Award was given to Ms. Chrissy Rohrs of Elmwood Schools. Chrissy is the Choir teacher there. Her support to the department spans over several years in two different areas. Chrissy has been involved with our 9-11 ceremonies and sings the National Anthem. For the ten year anniversary Chrissy developed a full musical remembrance program held at the Elmwood community Center that was attended by almost 300 people. Chrissy has also been involved with helping the department over the last 7 years with the Fire House Memorial Poker Run for MS fundraiser with her singing of the National Anthem.
Promotions to Sergeant included Mike Ebert and Danny Zeigler. The position is grooming for possible future officer positions. These two firefighters will be given increasing amounts of responsibilities and mentoring during the year.
Retirements included Lt. Sue Gavron, PIO from active status to support division. Gavron has been involved with the department for 15 years and is known for her photo documentation of scenes and events of the department.
There were a total of 210 runs this year. Liberty Township had 74runs, Portage Township, 56 Village of Portage 29, Plain Township 16 and 35 runs to I-75 in Portage Township.
There were 4 structure fire, 2 vehicle fire, 7 field fire, 32 motor vehicle accidents, 25 investigations and 120 EMS runs.
Other highlights of the year included
· $2500.00 grant from Monsanto for a new stabilizing kit for vehicle crashes
· $1500.00 grant from BG Home Depot for the Fire Safety Trailer
· The four day,1600 Straw bale fire in September with 12 departments from southern Wood Co involved at one time or another and some 500,000 gallons of water used.
· Receipt of a new grass rig to replace one 38 years old- “Wild Thunder”
· 4 total Scholarships given by the FF Association to students of Elmwood and Bowling Green High Schools
· Year 7 of the Firehouse Memorial Poker Run for MS fundraiser
· Initiation of the Auto-aid tomes
· Continues upgrade of the meeting/training room
· Hydraulic tools were upgraded for universal fitting
· Just over 1000 people utilizing the Fire Safety Trailer this year
· Successful narrow banding of radios
For further information see Face Book, Twitter and www.cjfd